Tuscaloosa Metro Animal Shelter (abbreviated TMAS) is seeking to fill the position of Foster Coordinator. This individual will oversee the humane care of all animals within our foster program. The responsibilities include the coordination and administration of all aspects of the foster program, including but not limited to effective planning, organization, communication, and management of the program activities and resources to ensure the delivery of the foster program’s goals. This position includes directly supporting, recruiting and training foster personnel and providing guidance, education, resources and tools to foster personnel and staff while effectively communicating across necessary departments and programs of the organization. The foster program is a lifesaving program that focuses on maximizing available resources to save the greatest number of shelter pets.
About TMAS: Tuscaloosa Metro Animal Shelter is a progressive non-profit animal shelter providing quality care for as many as 4,000 animals every year. The shelter is contracted to serve as the municipal animal shelter for Tuscaloosa City, Tuscaloosa County, and Northport. Our focus is to seek as many permanent, loving homes as possible for the thousands of animals brought to us every year.
If interested in applying for this position please email a copy of your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail them to:
ATTN: Thomas Sahm
Metro Animal Shelter
3140 35th St
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
Please have all documents submitted by 11:59 PM on October 14, 2019.
$8-$12 an hour
The Foster Coordinator oversees the humane care of all animals within our foster program. The responsibilities include the coordination and administration of all aspects of the foster program, including but not limited to effective planning, organization, communication, and management of the program activities and resources to ensure the delivery of the foster program’s goals. This position includes directly supporting, recruiting and training foster personnel and providing guidance, education, resources and tools to foster personnel and staff while effectively communicating across necessary departments and programs of the organization. The foster program is a lifesaving program that focuses on maximizing available resources to save the greatest number of shelter pets.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct foster information sessions (in person and online).
- Develop and coordinate trainings to help fosters expand their skills and help special needs animals.
- Communicate regularly with fosters to ensure satisfaction and assess need / readiness for additional training.
- Serve as primary contact for foster homes.
- Screen and connect foster volunteers with suitable animals for their availability, skill, and comfort level.
- Monitor health and behavior of animals in foster care and report any important findings / issues to medical personnel/Operations Manager.
- Triage behavioral and medical concerns while ensuring fosters know what supplies and medical care the shelter provides and how to access them.
- Support fosters with the goal of expanding foster network.
- Communicate with Fosters about scheduling medical updates, bringing animals in for adoption, dropping off and picking animals up for spay/neuter.
- Be present for foster drop off / pick up when possible.
- Solicit info from foster families to develop behavioral profile of animals before adoption.
- Work with Adoption Staff to determine which animals to bring in from foster homes for adoption at what time.
- Support fosters in marketing harder to adopt animals in foster care.
- Maintain foster information in ShelterLuv database.
- Keep medical records of animals in foster care up to date.
- Track data on foster program.
- Welcome & orient callers, visitors, donors and potential adopters and establish positive relationships with guests.
- Manage adopter expectations and facilitate crowd management on busy adoption days.
- Answer the phone and check voicemail and email throughout the business day and respond or forward as appropriate.
- Help market animals for adoption via bios & social media posts.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and work with other staff members on cross-department projects.
- Other duties as needed.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Highschool graduate or equivalent.
- A least one year of experience in an office setting.
- Experience and knowledge of Microsoft office suite.
- Experience and knowledge of domestic pets (primarily cats and dogs).
- Be able to stand for extended periods, walk, sit, see, talk and hear, stoop, bend, squat, kneel, grasp grip, put fingers together firmly and reach above and below shoulder level and lift.
- Be able to push or pull up to 60 pounds for lifting food and animal care supplies.
Preferred Education, Skills, & Experience
The ideal candidate for this position will have a passion for saving animals and an understanding of the important role foster care plays in the sheltering process. They will be able to work independently, and with a team, and will be understanding and supportive of volunteers and fosters.
- Associates or bachelor’s degree.
- Skilled communicator (via email, phone and in person) with the ability to communicate effectively, courteously, and professionally with a variety of individuals representing diverse cultures and backgrounds, in both spoken and written English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a customer service orientation and ability to appropriately negotiate / manage conflict and work in a team environment.
- Creative problem solver with a flexible, positive & outgoing style and a solutions-oriented attitude.
- Proficient with technology and quick to learn new systems.
- Able to handle shy or injured animals safely, or willing to learn.
- Knowledge of basic behavioral and health issues and how to manage them.
- Able to handle multiple tasks at once in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of and experience with animal care, handling, and behavior.
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and in a team environment, in an atmosphere of distractions, multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures.
- Experience in a shelter environment (as a foster, volunteer, or staff member).
- Previous experience with ShelterLuv or other shelter management software a plus.
- Experience supervising and training volunteers.
- Due to nature of shelter work, employees may be exposed to deceased, fractious, or aggressive animals; hostile or irate persons; parasites, zoonotic or other diseases; unpleasant noises, odors, or sights; disinfectants and chemicals; and extreme temperatures.
- The position involves direct contact with animals, humans, computers and a variety of animals-related products.
- Work various shifts, including holidays, evenings, and weekends. Schedule will include weekends.
- Paid sick and vacation time.
- Health and dental insurance (eligible after 3 months).
Share this Post